Sample and summary of food safety course material
Essential Food Safety & Top-up to Level 1
Food Safety Essential & top-up to level 1 online training at a glance
- Meets the training legal minimum requirement for food handlers across Australia (low risk food handlers)
- Written by Richard Sprenger, renowned food safety expert and author. Edited for Australia by Dr Andrew Mathieson
- Self-paced study hosted online (you can start, stop and return to where you left off at anytime)
- Repeat the course as often as you need during your years subscription
- Compatible with desktop, laptop and tablet devices
- Accessible with features including audio voiceover and transcript
- PDF certificate available immediately on completion
- Accredited by Highfield Qualifications, an International provider of regulated food safety qualifications
- Essential Food Safety course and Top-up to level 1 each take on average of 1 to 2 hours to complete
- By completing the Essential Food Safety course and Top-up to level 1 courses you get two seperate certificates
Food safety and food hygiene ratings are never far from the news.
Effective food safety and hygiene training isn’t just for businesses with a kitchen, it applies equally to school kitchens, volunteers helping out at local BBQs, businesses selling pre-packaged food and can help protect your business and ensure you avoid unwanted publicity.
This course helps everyone understand their role in maintaining food safety with a course written by one of the world’s leading food safety experts, Richard Sprenger and adapted for the Australian market by Dr Andrew Mathieson.
This online food safety and hygiene training course is ideal for those who work in the food industry.
Food businesses owners must, by law, are responsible for making sure that people who handle food or food contact surfaces in their business, and the people who supervise this work, have the skills and knowledge they need to handle food safely. It is recognised that knowledge comes form training and skills from practice, instruction and supervision.
This essential food safety course has been designed and reviewed by world food safety and teaching experts. The target audience is everyone in a food business. This ‘essentials’ course provides enough knowledge to help prevent the most common errors and is a start on your food safety training journey.
Essential course content:
- Introduction to food safety
- Food safety hazards
- Food poisoning and its control
- Personal hygiene
Top-up to level 1 course content:
- Contamination hazards and controls
- Safe handling and the storage of food
- Food pests and pest control
- Cleaning and disinfection
Why should I choose this course?
Our courses simplify even the most complex of subjects through media and content-rich exercises that motivate and engage learners. Our Essential Food Safety course and Top-up to level 1 course are each packed with:
- interactive exercises/gaming
- media-rich content
- interactive 3D scenarios
- content provided by market leading experts
- relevant photography and illustrations
- multi-generational content and style
At Highfield, we’re committed to improving standards of food hygiene. We produce courses that improve knowledge and, when the knowledge acquired from the course is implemented, will lead to improved levels of food hygiene.
Is this training course right for me?
If you work in a catering environment or are simply looking to expand your knowledge as a hobbyist, this course is ideal for you.
However, if you are involved, or are going to be involved in the direct preparation of food within a business environment, you should be trained to a higher level.
Highfield’s food safety level 2 e-learning course is ideal for most food handlers working in a catering or retail environment.
Supervisors and managers must be trained to a higher level again, and the food safety level 3 e-learning course is designed for this level of employee. It is also useful for owners of small catering businesses.
The Essential Food Safety course and Top-up to level 1 each take on average of 1 to 2 hours to complete, however as this food safety training is hosted online, learners can complete each module at a time and pace to suit them.
Our LMS provides comprehensive reports, including progress reports, so that trainers or managers can ensure the course is completed to suit training or business needs.
Reminder emails are sent to those that are registered and do not complete. Managers can request regular updates to check staff progress.
There are no prerequisites to study this course, though a basic understanding of principles of food safety will be beneficial.
Test and certification
The course is assessed by multiple-choice questions at the end of the course. Learners must score 100% in order to pass.
If the learner does not achieve 100% first time, they will be taken back to review the module with which they have struggled. They can then retry the multiple-choice questions as many times as necessary to pass the course. The questions change each time you retake the test and different learners will have different questions thanks to our random question /answer selector.
You will receive an electronic copy of your certificate immediately on completion of the course.
This course features a full audio voiceover, a glossary of terms and a transcript for users that are hard of hearing.
Loved by our learners...